Thursday, May 13, 2010

Pretty and smart to boot! (佳麗の上、頭がいい!)

You know, it's not really good for my ego to check how many readers I have on a daily basis. Every once and a while, sure, but daily?

You people are so fickle. Why must you leave me so often? Why must my audience drop by factors of three regularly? It's tough to bear!

I guess my only choice is to continue producing quality material in the hopes that you will one day see the light...

And to, you know, keep that one e-mail subscriber I have feel that he/she's getting their money's worth. I do my best, my friend!

...though I am reverting to the old stand-by today. It's a good stand-by, what can I say!

Not to mention that I was watching it yesterday as a for of stress relief.

Oh yes, MR. BRAIN...



They began advertising it about a month before I left Japan. A drama with both Kimutaku and Mizushima Hiro, I said? How can you go wrong, I said?

...no, that wasn't a build up to a fall. I apologize for the convoluted writing.

MR. BRAIN is everything you could ever hope for and more.

Except for maybe Mizushima Hiro's hair. That's a little... meh.



I mean, so a perm vomited on his head. I'm sure it wasn't his decision.

And besides, when you're next to the fabulousness of Kimutaku's hair, there's really not a whole lot you can do, competition-wise.



Just look at him. No one's topping that. It simply isn't conceivable.

(... does the editorial content of this blog suffer whenever I begin to gush uncontrollably over this man...? Just checking.)

Ok, all right, enough with the aesthetic appreciation, and on to the actual meat of the matter. Again, from the lovely DramaWiki, because I am nothing if not a lover of the block quote:

Tsukumo Ryusuke is a quirky, yet brilliant neuroscientist working for the National Research Institute of Police Science. Wielding a unique perspective and psychology, Tsukumo tackles the nation's most baffling crimes and scandals, going head-to-head with the most brilliant and twisted criminal minds. But his eccentricities and poor social timing can also aggravate people and circumstances, further complicating matters.


... man. I don't even want to credit that to TBS, because it's embarrassing for them. Step up those summarizing skills, guys!

What the conspicuously FAIL to mention is the fact that Kimutaku Tsukumo was originally a host. Yes, that's right: Kimutaku was playing a role where he sold his body nightly.

I won't say a thing.

Anyway, during a rather bumbling but charming moment (he was attempting to help a woman who had broken her heel), Tsukumo, the average, not exactly intelligent yet extremely beautiful host, gets hit by a falling scaffolding.

That's right, you guessed hit.

Brain Injury => Super Brain Powers.

Because the American media never does scientifically unreasonable things like that. No siree bob.

...

Anyway.

After some rather poor explanation and a time skip, we come to the present day, where the now super-intelligent yet super-weird (personal space issues and an obsession with bananas anyone?) has been hired by the National Research Institute of Police Science.

Also, the equipment they give him is quite impossible. Admittedly, as this is, theoretically, the height of classified technology, it is conceivable that such things do exist, but as it stands... holographic projectors and massively capable touch-screen desks with the ability to absorb information directly through the screen.... Forgive me for being a little bit dubious.

However, if you know that any of this definitely exists, please, do tell me. I'm just as ready and willing as the next guy to squeal over exciting new technology.

Anyway.

Even if this wasn't a drama starring Kimutaku and Mizushima Hiro, it would be a pretty decent Police Drama anyway. As it is, we get to spend a lot of time watching Kimutaku being an eccentric genius (do you see me arguing?) and receiving a small dose of layman neuroscience in the form of animated sprites every episode.

Oh. Also.

If you listen to Kimutaku's radio show, you also get a very dirty comment about bananas that I can only assume was inspired by Tsukumo's obsession with the fruit.

And I mean a dirty comment. Ooo, it gives me chills.

This is Edo, signing off wondering if she is too easily swayed by the beauty of certain Japanese men...

No comments: