Friday, June 11, 2010

Quite the strange bird. (やっぱ変な奴やな。)

Well, it really was inevitable.

What with my general lack of topics recently, and the fact that I am easily amused by strange people... it had to happen eventually.

Sooner rather than later.

No stopping it.

Like a boulder rolling down a mountain.

Like an old lady taking your place on the bus.

Like the piercing stares you can feel boring into your back as you walk around some of the slower parts of Kyoto...

Ahem.

So. Gackt was eventually going to be the main topic.


Well, that was probably the easiest image search I've ever done. Let's have some more, shall we?


Oh, heavens to murgatory.

Don't be fooled by the eyes, ladies. This is a full-blooded, mad-as-a-hatter Japanese man who is simply trying to fool you with his ability to purchase contact lenses.

... I think I'll stop before my blog gets confused for some fangirl's wet dream.

Ahem.

According to that never ending fountain of knowledge, Wikipedia:
Gackt Camui (神威 楽斗, Kamui Gakuto?, born July 4, 1973) is a Japanese musician. Usually referred to by his mononymous stage name, he is known as the former vocalist for the now-defunct band Malice Mizer and for his current career as a solo artist. Besides Japanese, he has performed in English, Korean, Cantonese, and Mandarin.

Gackt has released nine albums and thirty-four singles as a solo musician. His music has been used as theme songs for various anime, television dramas, and video games, such as New Fist of the North Star, Bujingai, Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII, and Kamen Rider Decade, amongst others. He co-starred and co-wrote the 2003 film Moon Child and acted in the NHK drama Fūrin Kazan as Uesugi Kenshin. Since July 2009, his name is stylized GACKT.
What they fail to mention is that he is crazy in the face.

And really, that's all right, because it's entertaining.

According to Melon, however, it makes for very aggravating concerts that have less to do with music and more to do with cheesy dramatics. Alas.

You know, it's funny; even the Wikipedia page says that  he "originated" from Okinawa, whereas the two university students who showed me around my Shiga home when I studied abroad insisted that no, he was, in fact, born in Shiga, but didn't admit it because Shiga simply wasn't glamorous enough.

I can believe that, though I've never seen either proof either way.

And really? I don't much care.



Instead, I watch him in things like this and giggle terribly.

And look, it's even subtitled for you non-Japanese-speaking types!

(Yes, they are making jokes about his penis size. To be fair, he started it.)

Luckily, in recent years, Gackt has realized that the world perceives him as a crazy, crazy man, and most certainly does not take him seriously. (Aside from the fangirls/boys, that is.) He has also learned to play with this image. He has fun with it, and is no longer so stiff. It's a good change.

Especially for those of us who knew that he was pretty crazy the whole time.



I suppose there are simply more English-speaking Gackt fans out there than, say... English-speaking Kimutaku fans. Goodness knows why.

As far as I know, this was simply an extra on some sort of concert DVD. No reason. No prompting. Just... Gackt being a weirdo.

He does that.

He also does music. You know, occasionally.



This is actually a traditional Okinawan song, which is very interesting. I rather like it. Needless to say, though, he did not write it.

I suppose I should show you some of his original work.

... who knew that I would have to provide my own music when it came to Gackt's actual body of work? Oh, the irony. Just a few, then.





The second one is a nice, soft, acoustic version, simply because I like it better than the original song.

Unfortunately, in recent times, I've become quite ambivalent towards Gackt. Yes, he's pretty to look at, and yes, he's amusing to watch, but apart from that... my interest, it is simply not held.

I apologize, dear readers, for this rather lackluster post, and hope that my choice of videos and music conveyed my thoughts better than did my actual words.

This is Edo, signing off more than a little burnt out for the time being.

No comments: